Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Thoughts on Ebola outbreak

There has been such a lot of over the top coverage of Ebola..everyone from the @realDonaldTrump to @CNN has weighed in; so I thought why not me. A blog post to summarize what I learned and what I thought about the whole thing would be useful for my approach to medicine, and maybe useful to anybody that might care to read it.

One of the first things that struck me was the heroism of the clinicians- people who left comfortable lives to help others. It reminded me of my medical residency during the era of SARS and the death of Dr. Carlo Urbani who first identified the disease as a dangerous, life threatening syndrome and died from SARS. http://goo.gl/K1gbdx I remember the sadness and pride that I felt in his life story, that I was a part of a profession that had a few heroes.

In learning of Dr. Khan's death I felt the same sense of pride and desolation.  http://goo.gl/TmWd23 I think that this short piece in the BMJ, by Margaret McCartney, a GP from Glasgow, expresses well what I would like to share- a homage to "real courage".goo.gl/HPWTDm

Ebola is not a new disease- it has simmered, off and on - for a long time. This is an older article about the ecology of the virus which was useful for me to read http://goo.gl/SgGQnN as the disease is not something I think of, very often. This is a simpler life cycle cartoon from the CDC site.

There seems to be a seasonal, cyclical nature to these illnesses, maybe related to food insecurity leading to eating alternative protein like bats, bush meat. It is also likely related to loss of forests, habitat destruction.

The mistrust of clinicians by the people is something that I see often in my work but it is usually related to certain topics like vaccination; but I think I can understand the West African public thinking that Ebola is a conspiracy. It is hard to trust people especially when they are suited up, as if going on a space flight, rather than taking care of people. This is the hardest barrier to fight- an outbreak will only go long for as long as there is fear, mistrust and lack of true knowledge about the disease.

It is important to get accurate information to the affected people rather than the hype that is all over. I was glad to see this intervention from Liberian natives in Boston who are volunteering to spread good information so that rumor does not take hold. goo.gl/riUJ4C 

There have been diseases like these, modern day plagues, which all of us need to get good information about, especially if we work in healthcare. Diseases can be just a plane ride away but humanity is poorly served by paranoia; to this end-  I thought that this piece by an Emory RN on why we need to take care of people with Ebola, here in the US, was an informative read. http://goo.gl/yfGss1

Earlier today I read in the NYT http://goo.gl/C4kfOK about how Ebola affects immigrants who have not even been to West Africa recently. An outbreak has a domino effect and brings forth our deepest fears of illness and stranger anxiety. After all this frantic reading on the subject, I for one, feel better prepared that if I came face-to-face with Ebola, I'd know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment